Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Luddites Raid Wash. Post Editorial Page

It's pretty shocking what some people still think. Today, two university professors published their Luddite Manifesto on medical records.  Succinctly, their argument is that since there have been issues with software in the past, and since you can't prove that medical records software can save lives, then all efforts to implement such software are a waste of time and money and that we would all be better off sticking with paper records.

It's as if the last 25 years of history has not happened.  The computer revolution, which has changed the lives of the majority of the world in one way or another has not occurred.  The fact that data sharing has had a major impact on business and commerce has not occurred.

To support their argument, the two authors cited failures or issues with some systems that have been implemented. Most of the systems cited in the article seem to have been designed to diagnose symptoms or prescribe drugs automatically. Given that doctors themselves have problems doing this for more complex cases, it should be little suprise that initial systems developed to do this work do not work as well as hoped. 

I've had experience with this "paper records" system, and it stinks.  Let me tell you a little story.  Unfortunately, I've got a few health issues.  I have several doctors, all of whom treat me for different things.  Despite the fact that I have signed releases, none of them have my complete medical records.  They tend to request them "as needed", and then it takes a couple of days for the records to be copied and sent over. While this system may work for regular checkups and treatment, the one time it won't work is in the Emergency Room.  Fortunately, every time I've been to the ER I've been upright and coherent. I disclose my pre-existing conditions, and I'm asked (repeatedly) what medications I take.  I'm asked repeatedly what I'm allergic to.  All of these pieces of information are usually relevant to treating me and making sure I remain upright and coherent. And, in my experience, the doctors and nurses have always been able to give me excellent care, as I am able to provide them with all of this information. In fact, the last time I went to the ER, I took the liberty of typing up a list of my meds so that there would be no questions (more paper records).

What if I were not upright and coherent?  I'm certainly not an expert in this area, but I can't imagine how not having my records available to consult before treatment would be boon to the doctors.  Furthermore, what if I was away from home and went to the ER in a non-upright and non-coherent state?  Given my health issues, I'd hate for the doctors to have to start guessing what's wrong with me given a lack of information!

I have to say that I find it quite shocking that someone in this day and age would write such an article, and even moreso that the Washington Post would publish it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Luddites -- too late -- there's a ton of stuff on iPhone already -- doctors are voting with their choice -- EKG Interpretive Guides, medical calculators, iv medication dosage, netter's anatomy, eye tests -- at least forty to fifty quality mobile applications -- see example below:

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanfrancisco/stories/2009/04/06/daily72.html